6 May 2009, Ballarat Vic - A maintenance worker died in a 700mm deep valve pit while attending to an LPG leak. It was reported that witnesses saw the worker with his head and upper body in the pit. When they realised the man was motionless they dragged him out of the pit by his legs, moved him to a safer area and bystanders, including a doctor and a nurse, attempted resuscitation.
LPG is heavier than air and can displace oxygen in poorly ventilated areas. A person breathing in an oxygen deficient atmosphere may loose consciousness rapidly, before they realise there is a problem.
Source - The Courier, Ballarat