Workcover Victoria fined a company $32,000 after an explosion in a confined space at a char/briquette plant that injured one employee. A number of confined space issues were identified during Workcover's investigation. Prior to entering confined spaces, employers must:
- Conduct hazard identification and risk assessment of the confined space
- Issue a permit that refers to hazards and safety controls required for the task
- Provide a means of communication for the standby person to call for help
- Record each entry and exit from the space
- Establish an emergency retrieval plan specifically for the space
- Ensure all people working in confined spaces are trained
The Workcover news release can be accessed from the following link.